When I first started using essential oils lavender was not on my list of favourite smells. However the more I learned about the power of essential oils the more I gained a healthy respect for just how much lavender can actually do. It’s pretty incredible.
While visiting family in Nova Scotia this past week I was lucky enough to go to Seafoam Lavender Farm. I had never been to a lavender farm before and it was really interesting to see how it was set up. As soon as we got out of the car the beautiful aroma of lavender and sunshine filled the air. They had several different varieties growing and many happy bees around helping to make lavender honey. They also had a cute shop filled with all the many products that can be made with lavender – lotions, bug spray, lip balms, tea and even lavender seeds to take home and start growing your own. You can find out more about this place at lavendercanada.com
On the drive back with a fresh bouquet that my daughter picked in hand and a goody bag of products I made a mental list of all the ways that lavender can be used. It really is first aid, stress relief and perfume all in one.
Here is my list of reasons to love lavender:
- Bites– a drop on insect bites to reduce itching and swelling ( I like to mix it with a drop of Tea Tree oil too)
- Burns- 2 drops on minor burns to decrease pain and speed up healing
- Stress– 2 drops on a tissue to keep with you and inhale during the day whenever you start to feel anxious, or you can diffuse it into a room with an aromatherapy diffuser
- Insomnia– a few drops on a tissue kept under your pillow or in the pillow case to help calm you down and fall asleep
- Aches and pains– 6 drops in a warm bath with epsom salts to soothe tired and achy muscles and calm the mind at the same time!
- Headaches– the calming and balancing effect of lavender can often help ease a headache. Dilute it with some olive oil and massage it on your neck, temples or even gently on your head.
Lavender mixes well with almost all other essential oils so get creative and see what combinations work for you.
Here is my favourite place to by high quality essential oils, they carry lavender and any other oil you might be looking for.
We’d love to hear of your favourite uses for lavender oil in the comment section below.