This week we continue our journey through the chakra system with the second or SACRAL CHAKRA. The sanskrit word is SVADHISTHANA which means “sacred and sweet home of the self”. While the root chakra was all about grounding, earth and stability, your sacral chakra is about movement and going with the flow. The element associated with the sacral chakra is water and the colour that resonates with it orange.
Your sacral chakra is located at the lower abdomen below the navel just above the pubic bone. The sacral chakra is the energy centre that allows for movement, sexual energy, love, creation and creativity. Once the energy in the two lower chakras is open and moving freely it can travel up your spine allowing the other chakras to begin to balance as well.
How it manifests in the body and mind:
- When it is balanced and in harmony it can manifest as : giving and receiving love, easily sharing feelings, acts of kindness, nurturing to self and others, able to create healthy boundaries, feeling joyful.
- When it is blocked or deficient it can manifest as: bladder or kidney issues, frigidity, impotence, difficulty expressing emotions, suppressing needs and feelings, emotional dependency.
- Click below for a mini meditation
- Seek out a body of water. If you live near a river, lake or ocean so take some time to sit by the water and listen to the sound it makes as it moves. Allow the sense of fluidity to become a part of you and relax you. If you don’t live near water you can try a CD of waves or water while you are meditating.
- Yoga poses that boost sacral chakra energy are ones that work with your hips and abdomen like ;Reclining bound angle ( Goddess pose) and child’s pose.
- Essential Oils that have an effect on the second chakra are: petitgrain, sandalwood and ylang ylang. You can put a few drops on a kleenex and inhale or add a few drops to an unscented lotion or oil.
- Affirmations (from Eastern Body, Western Mind) :
I move easily and effortlessly. Life is pleasurable. My sexuality is sacred. I absorb information from my feelings.
For a quick review of the root chakra from last week click here. Next week we journey further up the spine to your Solar Plexus. In the meantime you have any insights you’d like to share please feel free to leave a comment below.