Here is my list of essential oils you’ll need for all things summer. Keep them on hand as an Essential Oil Summer Aid Kit for home, cottage and camp.
- Tea Tree – soothes bug bites,helps heal minor cuts and scrapes, keeps fleas away from pets. You can buy it as an oil – or for kiddies try it already added to a cream like Thursday Plantation Antiseptic Cream
- Lavender – sunburn relief – add a few drops to a plain lotion base or aloe vera gel for sunburn. It also has a smell that bugs don’t like which is a bonus!
- Lemongrass -excellent for jetlag – inhale a few drops on a kleenex during and after your flight . Also a great bug repellent if you are travelling somewhere exotic or even just to the cottage
- Peppermint – a few drops in the kitchen cupboards and garbage at the cottage or camp will help keep pests like ants and mice away and it smells great too! It also has a wonderful cooling effect – you can add 15 drops ( diluted in 1 tsp glycerin) and water to a fine mist spray bottle or a few drops in a base lotion for when you get overheated
- Lemon, Lime or Orange – makes and wonderful, refreshing summer room mist . Mix 15- 20 drops with a teaspoon of alcohol or glycerin, put into a fine mist spray bottle and fill with distilled water – you can even add some peppermint oil for an extra cooling effect! Shake really well before each use to help activate the oils.
- Thyme – natural insecticide and very strong anti bacterial so it’s good for disinfecting surfaces ( make sure to dilute in glycerin, alcohol or soap base first)
- Citronella – great for keeping the bugs away. You can burn a citronella based candle or diffuse citronella essential oil outside to keep the mosquitoes away
You can find good quality essential oils at your local health food store and online. Since it gets warm in the summer remember to keep your oils in a cool dry place so they don’t lose their healing properties. Always dilute the oils in a base lotion or carrier oil like almond, grape seed or even olive oil before you put it on your skin.
If you want to order oils online check out Nascent Naturals. I am so happy that they are finally available online. I have used many different brands of essential oils over the years and these oils are some of the best quality I have ever used. It is a small shop that only offers high quality oils that are all very carefully sourced. The owner, Sandy Powell is an incredible Aromatherapist – and my aromatherapy mentor!
I’d love to hear from you – What are your favourite oils? Are there are any blends you’ve created for bug bites, sunburn or keeping bugs away that you swear by? Feel free to comment below.